theageofindustry

150D First Start

Excuse my video skills. I've never claimed to be filmographer.

I bought this scooter in August of 2014 from Mark Swift, who posted it for sale right here. I started rebuilding the engine last year around now. This was my first shaft driven lambretta rebuild. The entire machine got a complete mechanical restoration from top to tail. All the seals and bearings are new as well as the crank, clutch, etc. New cables, custom 12v AC harness, tires, etc. Ignition is a Dtronic from Tino Sacchi. Lots of details here like the hidden cdi and regulator inside a WWII ammo pouch with the original bakelite coil is now just a dummy that has the cdi ignition wire running through it.

Anyway, I just started it for the first time about 1/2 hour ago and am listening to it idle and bed in as we speak.

• Upvote 5

Here's the dummy coil. The cdi ignition wire runs through the back right corner and out the front so it looks like it's stock.

post-24-0-61804500-1455407694_thumb.jpg

Here's the WW2 Ammo pouch mounted on the frame tab that is used for the battery carrier on European DC models. The CDI and regulator are mounted inside.

post-24-0-92929200-1455407877_thumb.jpg

Custom LED tail light I made for about $12

post-24-0-76244900-1455407924_thumb.jpg

And here's just some shots while it's idling.

post-24-0-68303400-1455407973_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-49909700-1455408002_thumb.jpg

The headlight isn't working but I'm sure I just got something crossed inside the headlight bucket. I'll get it sorted by the time the snow thaws.

post-24-0-17843500-1455408022_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like the hidden coil, great idea!

Share the details on the LED tail, I am sure others would like to know how to do that!

He already posted it as a how-to guide. The problem is that he posted it in the LD section when he should have posted it in the Welcome section.

Well almost ready. I had a small leak getting into the kick start area that I'm working on. Plus I still need to time it and resolve the lack of headlight. Should be soon though!

I dug a path out through the snow and just took it for a short spin. It's 30℉ today so warm by our standards during this time of year.

Anyway, everything worked and no wining from all the bevel meshes so that comes as a huge relief! Clearly it paid for me to take a lot of time on building this engine. Phew!

I can only say that anyone who loves to build engines and enjoys the challenge should make an effort to build a shaft driven Lambretta. The precision involved in doing one correctly combined with the lack of easy to understand manuals like the Sticky's guide is what made it the most challenging engine I have ever built.

I've built a lot of engines but this is the one I am most proud of.

• Upvote 1

I dug a path out through the snow and just took it for a short spin. It's 30℉ today so warm by our standards during this time of year.

Anyway, everything worked and no wining from all the bevel meshes so that comes as a huge relief! Clearly it paid for me to take a lot of time on building this engine. Phew!

I can only say that anyone who loves to build engines and enjoys the challenge should make an effort to build a shaft driven Lambretta. The precision involved in doing one correctly combined with the lack of easy to understand manuals like the Sticky's guide is what made it the most challenging engine I have ever built.

I've built a lot of engines but this is the one I am most proud of.

Want to build my LD motor?  B)