JeanFabricio

[HELP] My LI problems / BRAZIL / Energy / Environment

Hey Mike, the other option could be get your clothes from a thrift store, have kids so they can help dig and grow a garden, go hunting and fishing and ride scooters for transport and bicycles for short runs and exercise.

That way clothes are recycled, you get good locally produced organic food to eat, plenty of exercise though sex and bicycling and we still get to have our scooters. throw in a few windmills on the top of you house and a couple of solar panels-done job.

It's a win, win ,win ,win situation.

But no, everyone is caught up in the rat race so there isn't anytime left for anything else, paying over the odds for organic food that has had to be shipped from god knows where because it's "good" for them, running up 17 trillion in debt to China, so now China holds the note to this country. Don't get me started on 5$ cups of coffee...

"It's all a load of bollocks and bollocks to it all"-The Specials, circa what? 82?

• Upvote 2

From futurist me: I forgot to add that with fusion nuclear burn, being developed now by about 5 different nations, as opposed to fission reactions, there is no poisonous or radioactive waste. Compare nuclear fission: it produces terrible radioactive and poisonous waste and requires mining of radioactive metal ore. With fusion, the fuel is the commonest element in the universe, hydrogen (dueterium), and the waste products are helium, which is non-reactive and dissipates into space, and water. I would predict that within 20-30 years there will be fusion power plants somewhere in the world. Fusion is very difficult, but not impossible to achieve.

This is how the NIF at Lawrence-Livermore National Laboratory will do it:

The development and implementation of nuclear fusion power generation will be a revolution as great as the fossil fuel revolution that came before. It has the potential to provide all the power our civilization will require with none of the environmental drawbacks of fossil fuels. Will it be in time to prevent catastrophe?

Solar and wind power technologies have reached the scale where it is fairly simple, though not inexpensive, to cleanly go off the grid if you live in a rural area. I know an ex punk rock musician from Wisconsin who moved up north, near Lake Superior, after converting is cabin to a 4 season house. It gets it's electricity from solar electric panels and wind. I'm not certain how he heats his home, though, but it is entirely off the grid.

Meanwhile, some of us enjoy tuning our scooters which results in decreased fuel economy and increased emissions. But it's fun and still greener than tuned cars and trucks.

Sounds perfect Kevo.

What is the drawback other than fusion is hard to achieve? Wasn't the zepplin that met a firery demise(name doesn't spring to mind-hindenburg perhaps?) full of helium?

Not being a nay sayer cause it does sound perfect. If fact, take the leftover that is helium and use it for balloons to move people around the world instead of planes.  All the kiddies will be happy cause there will be a never ending supply of floating ballons if the rubbers that aren't used cause people are having kids again are used as balloons. :D Homer Simpson will be happy cause he can sit in his beach chair and float about all over the place- a lot ;)

Your mate up north is more than likely burning a woodstove to keep warm...and before anyone bitches about woodstoves polluting the atmosphere, way to many forest fire are supressed that should be allowed to burn.  Forest/planes fires are actually a neccessary part of the earths growing cycle. the reason they are surpressed(at least in this country) is to protect peoples homes that are built in previous woodland/planes areas.

No offense Denver peeps, but it is a fact.

There are no drawbacks with fusion, other than the monumentally difficult task of inducing a controlled fusion reaction. There is no danger of meltdown, as the amount of fuel is extremely small, and no radioactive fuels are used. There are no radioactive waste products. All the mass is converted to energy and helium.

Thanks for that information, JeanFabricio, Brazil is a lot greener than I had thought. I also know that Brazil has a very advanced aerospace industry.

Your're wellcome.

We don't have "a very advanced aerospace industry", we have ONE called EMBRAER.

That's the reason that I wrote about Brazil (good and bad things): almost nobody knows Brazil besides "carnaval" and "Rio de Janeiro". Rio has a wonderful landscape, but I would not live there for free or even not making much money. In fact, I hate Rio. But... has a lot of drugs and prostitution, so... that's what sells.

You guys also invented the  Brazilian wax job. Don't be so hard on  your country.

Probably millions of lives saved through out the world because people haven't choked to death on little curly hairs and billions of man hours saved because people don't have to stop what they are doing picking those same little curly hairs out of their teeth.

Forgive me, I am now officially going off subject. A little.

• Upvote 1

You guys also invented the  Brazilian wax job. Don't be so hard on  your country.

Probably millions of lives saved through out the world because people haven't choked to death on little curly hairs and billions of man hours saved because people don't have to stop what they are doing picking those same little curly hairs out of their teeth.

Forgive me, I am now officially going off subject. A little.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In 1985 we had a Playboy edition that made history: safe link. Pictures talks more than words...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In 1985 we had a Playboy edition that made history: safe link. Pictures talks more than words...

Why was THAT historic? Really ugly women have been nude in that magazine before, so I don't know what made this one so special.

Its a special kinda ugly.

You have to remember that below the equator ugly flows the opposite direction.

• Upvote 1

You have to remember that below the equator ugly flows the opposite direction.

Kudos on that one, Jimmy. That got me laughing pretty good.

• Upvote 1

I didn't understood...

Its okay Mr Fabrico..........I don't understand it either.