Mike Anhalt

HPI Ignitions

Quick Question then:

Can I use an HPI or a BGM stator w/an indian flywheel or have people had problems w/this combo?

Bgm with Indian flywheel is fine. Running one right now. Can't speak to the hpi.

Thanks DerekM,

That's exactly what I needed to hear!

Bgm with Indian flywheel is fine. Running one right now. Can't speak to the hpi.

Same here on the dl. It seems to be the AF light flywheel with BGM stator that is problematic (at least for me).

I had issues with an AF aluminum flywheel and the BGM stator. Somewhere north of 6,000rpm it would start to skip. Sucked.

• Upvote 1

I have the same setup and running into similar issues, around 6k the engine breaks up. I have not had enough time tuning to rule out jetting, tho...

Anyone have recommendations on stator plates that are compatible with AF flywheels?

Anyone have recommendations on stator plates that are compatible with AF flywheels?

I've had good luck in the past with that combo but somewhere along the line the two just stopped playing nice.

If you really want to use that type of flywheel I'd try to find an origional AF Ducati stator and flywheel.

• Upvote 1

I just traded a primo condition OG AFR aluminum flywheel to Diego for a mag flange. I have another one, with no fins for a sprinter, but that one is going to Hot Rod Scooters. I have the stator for it if you are interested.

So do you have a Ducati stator or a BGM stator you are referring to Christopher?

So do you have a Ducati stator or a BGM stator you are referring to Christopher?

It is the original one paired with the AF flywheel.

Hell ya, if I can't get this BGM to work...! This is a street bike, so needs lights and all...

Quick Question then:

Can I use an HPI or a BGM stator w/an indian flywheel or have people had problems w/this combo?

I have a bgm stator on my indian gp motor and it ran great for the short period i used it on my jet.

• Upvote 2

Quick Question then:

I believe the HPI requires a special flywheel. Probably composite stuff.

Roger Roger.

What do you guys think for a road going scooter with AF flywheel...? Replace the pick up with a SIL one on the new BGM stator? Or just try to find an SIL stator stateside?

I have a indian flywheel and sil stator on one motor. I have a full bgm variable on another. And the gp motor is running a bgm stator and af  flywheel and all 3 run great.

Thanks Jimmy - could be your stator is one of the older good ones as Mike mentioned.

Rudy - that stinks. Same thing I am facing... Both new parts and no worky!

The AF/BGM combo has never worked straight out the box ever. They do provide all the extras so you can adjust it yourself though. Not once in your posts have you mentioned what, if anything, is wrong with your stator, what readings you get, etc. We've sold several hundred of these things and have had only a few come back, only one with a bad component. The rest were a loose wire here and there, the others nothing at all.

Cables are all the new kind. They were never sold side by side.

I had two BGM flywheels. One the original one I bought when they first became available. The other was manufactured in January 2015 (says so on the back of the plate). After installing my first BGM RT kit with BGM crankshaft, BGM flywheel, BGM CDI and BGM stator - I noticed that my timing would "auto advance" a full 7 degrees upto 4,000rpm. Not being happy with it, I swapped to another CDI but still had the 7 degrees of advance as I increased RPMs. Frustatred and scared of getting on the highway and blowing up my $2000 worth of new shit, I put my original BGM stator into the engine. The timing doesn't move at all.

Had the exact same thing occur with a brand new BGM stator on Speed_kills' BGM engine. A full 7 degrees of advance. He videoed it.So he put his other stator back on.

So I've got two stators sitting in their boxes. Both BGM. Both brand new. Both with the same manufacture date of January 2015.

So I've got two stators sitting in their boxes. Both BGM. Both brand new. Both with the same manufacture date of January 2015.

What did Scooter Center have to say about that?

I would think it would be easy for them to issue a DHL pick up and send out 2 replacements? 

For the ignition to drift like that it would mean there is noise in the system. Usually it's in the CDI (bad capacitor) but it could be transient voltage voltage in the stator coil. What OHM does it give give you?

I'll think up 17 more questions later....

So 2.5 years later.

I have the HPI internal rotor ignition. 

Super easy to set set up if you know how to set an ignition

a few photos of the install. 

Notice there is no woodruff key. The base plate is static positioned and the timing adjustment is between the flywheel positioning and the trigger. It’s a little weird at first but seems to work.

the plug in is too large to fit through the mag range hole so the pins need to come out of the connector. 

C37A910D-1B06-438C-8516-7F3EA99DE86A.jpeg

470904BD-5931-4600-8306-EE1E31A2BAB2.jpeg

1C086B5A-EC82-4634-A4FA-8223067BA296.jpeg

CA523DAE-F0DA-4574-93E2-E41BFC396B68.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2