vegansydney

Chrome platers: any recommendations? (or warnings)

Who are people using for chrome? Just the usual parts (headlight rim, brake pedal, fork links etc...) for an upcoming build. Any recommendations, or even warnings, are appreciated.   

Speed_kills uses a shop in San Hose. Let me tell, you - that shit is gorgeous. Not cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Based on the pricing I got from platers here in Atlanta, re-chroming the most common parts didn't make too much sense to me honestly (since pre-chromed replacements were readily available). Re-chroming my headlight rim was going to cost 3-4 times what a new one from Jet200 cost me.  Would like to have gotten my fuel tank nickel plated too, but that was cost prohibitive as well.  For me it would have to be a custom part or a part where a quality replacement was unavailable before it would make a lot of sense (quality fork links may fall into this category I suppose).

I just used a guy in Rehoboth, MA (Metal Doctor.com). Turned around an S1 kickstart lever and rear brake pedal in a week. Show chrome quality! But really pricey. Like.... $250 pricey.... but the stuff looked mint.

• Upvote 1

a nice chrome job is amazing after it's complete BUT it's usually expensive -atleast in these parts

I just used a guy in Rehoboth, MA (Metal Doctor.com). Turned around an S1 kickstart lever and rear brake pedal in a week. Show chrome quality! But really pricey. Like.... $250 pricey.... but the stuff looked mint.

Is this the guy?

http://www.metaldoctors.net/

Looks like nice work, but yeah, pricey.

That's the thing about chrome, it isn't cheap. If you find one that is cheap, would you really want to wast your money on substandard work? If done wrong at best case the chrome will just look bad or peel. At worst case your part can be destroyed or become unsafe (part becomes brittle or soft from the process).

Good triple plated chrome takes time and is an art in its self.

Good triple plated chrome takes time and is an art in its self.

I'm assuming part of the art is actually prepping the piece to be chromed.  Many of the original steel pieces like kick starts and brake pedals are really rough casts that are noticeably pitted and far from being smooth.  I'm assuming the surface has to be filled/leveled/smoothed before any decent chrome finish is possible.

I'm assuming part of the art is actually prepping the piece to be chromed.  Many of the original steel pieces like kick starts and brake pedals are really rough casts that are noticeably pitted and far from being smooth.  I'm assuming the surface has to be filled/leveled/smoothed before any decent chrome finish is possible.

It depends on what you are going for but yes prep work is everything.

If it's a true restoration, then you'd want to leave all the pitting etc in the metal and just have it flash chromed like it was from the factory. If it's a custom show type piece then yes, polish it smooth. The sad thing is a lot of chrome shops over polish and kill off the factory finish (especially when you don't want them too!).

In my experience it pays to be as specific as possible when dealing with these shops. Take before and after photos with a list of what you drop off. Parts get lost and when you're sorting through a bag of 200 small pieces it's easy to miss something.