continentalmod

Specialty Tools - I have none :(

hello.  any club members in the Maryland area have some specialty lambretta tools I can borrow/rent for a few days?  I am in country for the week.  I am taking a motor back with me to rebuild for the winter.  I would like to split the case and break it down into as many smaller pieces as possible to fit in suit cases.

unfortunately, the shops have been out of the tools that I need for awhile.  hopefully some will come in over the next few months.

1. Silent Block remover

2. Mag Flange puller

3. Clutch Compressor

4. Clutch Holder

5. T Bar Extractors

6. Rear Brake bushing Drift Tool

7. Crank puller/sleeve

The motor is already out and the flywheel is off.

any help is greatly appreciated.  I can drive to you if you are in the area. (with the motor, for adult supervision)

pm me your number and I will call you.

many thanks,

christophe

You can change the silent blocs (aka motor mounts) with heat.  Put the new ones in the freezer.  With a torch, heat up the casing evenly around the one you want to take out with the silent bloc facing the floor. It ought to need only about 200 degrees or so before it falls out.  Take the new ones out of the freezer.  Heat up the casing again and drop it in.  Do them one at a time.  these should work with Indian and Italian silent blocs. If you have calipers, it might be a good idea to measure them before hand.  A while back there were a few silent blocs produced that were out of spec.    

Every time I hear of case ears getting snapped off it is because someone thought they could install SX/TV silent blocks without the proper tool.

I would characterize the idea as foolish at best.

• Upvote 2

For removal, its probably best to use the tool.

But for install?  Heat and freezer has worked multiple times for me.  No broken ears.

Pull the silent blocks out of the freezer, put some oil on the silent blocks, heat the ears, and insert them by hand with absolutely no drag.  They go right in.  You just hold them in place and the ear cools and grabs the silent blocks.

QED.

For removal, its probably best to use the tool.

QED.

I think this is the point, getting them out is the problem.

I do chill the mounts when I fit them, but only very briefly in the freezer. Has anyone any knowledge on the effect of deep freezing on rubber and then accelerated heating once fitted, I'd be interested in knowing.

I think this is the point, getting them out is the problem.

I do chill the mounts when I fit them, but only very briefly in the freezer. Has anyone any knowledge on the effect of deep freezing on rubber and then accelerated heating once fitted, I'd be interested in knowing.

Not really "deep freezing". Your typical freezer is only 28f or so. The thermal reduction in size is minimal at best and all the room gained is by heating up the case. Plus when you introduce dissimilar metals at extreme temperature differences you can create other problems.

Always use anti seize grease on the mounts when installing them (but you know that).

The problem is that just using heat and dropping in by hand sometimes the silent block will only go a part of the way and then lock onto the case. Then what? I'm not saying that it can't happen or that people can't install without a tool, but it doesn't go perfectly all the time.

• Upvote 2

Also remember the right size cones. The jammy scooter almost suffered that fate of broken ear(s) until i noticed that the ones that were in the frame  were small and we needed the large ones before tightening up the swing bolt.