I picked up this OG Series 2 LI125 last week from the guys at Gran Sport in Iowa.

post-24-0-57152300-1447435787_thumb.jpg

I picked it up explicitly for Corazzo so I left the side panels in their very capable hands so they can hand letter them for the biz.

12190883_931158876966613_361277115934155

12187761_931158863633281_225984319360072

12193487_931158830299951_871706978564198

11220926_931158820299952_391903749256034

After getting it home, I started taking it apart as I am sending all the repainted parts back to Gran Sport to repaint. They are matching both the color and sheen for me along with doing any bodywork and repairs that are needed.

12208689_932185013530666_626293103640516

I haven't decided what I am going to do about the motor yet. It is actually a runner so I may leave it or I might go through it and juice it up a bit. I don't actually have a stock engine in any of my Lambrettas but the threat of 125cc's of pure pooch S2 power might be enough to convince me to get out the check book.  I'll try to keep this updated as the project progresses. The target is to have it done and rolling at the High Rollers rally this February, which should be pretty easy to do. 

• Upvote 9

When I come across this kind of stuff I often wonder if it was a US response to lack of parts availability/distance to closest shop or a worldwide phenomenon.

post-24-0-91754400-1447649760_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

When I come across this kind of stuff I often wonder if it was a US response to lack of parts availability/distance to closest shop or a worldwide phenomenon.

attachicon.gifIMAG0553.jpg

And thatt sir I believe is why some of the nicest og scooters are found in USA and Canada.

After sales support and service? What was that?

I need a cable? No dice. I need a carb cleaned, who will touch my silly moped? Cricket sounds....

Does that bolt have a hole drilled in it...?

Nope, I just pulled it and basically the pinched the pulley and bent the cable to have a 90° end and added the bolt to act as a stopper when up shifting. Odd solution and may have ruined the pulley since they broke off one of the two sides that push against the cable end when up shifting.

I don't think they make them for toothed rods yet. Plus it's a Series 2 so the pinned rods won't fit. I do like all the brass handlebar components from MB. When properly setup, they make all of the throttle and shift action butter smooth.

attachicon.gifIMAG0553.jpg

The word you're looking for is "Agricultural" there are farmers in Oz too! and NZ, well when a series 2 arrives from NZ with a kickstart lever made from angle iron welded onto the shaft you know it ain't going to be an easy or cheap build, if only these people could have found a V3$p@ instead!

I'm not trying to hi-jack, just letting you know you're not alone.

• Upvote 2

Kris at Gran Sport in Davenport Iowa has been laying down the hand lettering on my panels.  Still a work in progress, but clearly this dude has some skills.

post-24-0-22012900-1449269924_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

I decided to take the plunge and order some affordable repop bling for this scooter. Here is my short review of said bling. 

12670409_10153943752073928_5558505556700

In my quest to save money, I have fallen victim at times to extremely poor quality stuff especially when it comes to anything made of aluminum.  Generally the fit and finish is completely terrible and I end up throwing it in a pile of things I have been burned on so to say I was apprehensive about dropping $450 on a set of repop bling parts made in Thailand is an understatement.  Seeing as I have lusted after a clamshell for years though, made me become somewhat of an expert on the typical signs of a terrible repop.  Basically they are usually sand cast and you can see all the casting flaws between the raised fins on the main body. On top of that, if the grill is even cut out it is usually done so poorly that each grill is shaped differently and there is casting flash everywhere. They are also usually not chromed but in fact polished aluminum.

After staring at these repops that I found on Facebook from a shop in Thailand that uses the trade name Scootomo Parts, it did not have all the tell tale signs of a crappy reproduction.  After looking at image upon image, it was clear to my eyes that he actually goes over each individual piece and removes the majority of the flaws from casting before chroming them.  That's actually a ton of work if you think about it, which is why most of the other sandcast reproductions are just sold for less and look like crap.

After receiving them 45 days later, overall I think they look fine.  The fit is actually very good for both the clamshell and the golfball embellisher.  On a straight mudguard, the clamshell sits right where it's supposed to and the golfball (shown on a NOS horncast) fits right as well.  You can still see a few pits on each piece so they are definitely not show quality.  Had they been chromed by a professional shop stateside, I imagine they could have resolved these blemishes before chrome but then at that point, the price would double and any savings over buying from a high quality reproduction shop like Vintage Scoot would be lost.

So they fit right and they look pretty good.  Since this Series 2 will have a few bumps and bruises on it's original paint, I think the imperfections on these reproductions will actually tie into the overall look of the machine instead of detracting from it like lower quality, cheaper reproductions would.

I take it you haven't seen the new Scootopia reproductions, when side by side, inside and out they are identical! Very nice, if you like that sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1

It's a slippery slope my friend, next you'll be adding mirrors, horns, candy stripe cable protectors and trading your Camel Lights for Du Mauriers!  :lol:

• Upvote 2

It's a slippery slope my friend, next you'll be adding mirrors, horns, candy stripe cable protectors and trading your Camel Lights for Du Mauriers!  :lol:

Who needs brakes when you add 50lbs of go slower gear?

• Upvote 3

I have and they look fab although I haven't seen the golf ball embellisher from them. Are they making those as well?

They were intimating that while I was visiting them in January, along with a few more soon to be not hard to find shiny things!

• Upvote 1