Steve Johnson

Engine rebuild cost

hope this is a relatively easy question and I know the answers will vary but here goes- how much would an engine rebuild run normally, provided it's just seals, bearings, and gaskets

You should specify if you are the labor or if you are paying for the labor. 

A lot of people start the slippery slope, so usually electronic ignition conversion slips in, which adds a lot of cost once you get all the parts.  

200 bucks should cover it, add another 100 for shifting cross, 60 bucks for clutch plates, and realistically if you are replacing bearings might as well replace the crank, another 120-200 if stock components used

If your presenting an engine out of the scooter that is clean & running so not too many hidden things to complicate it, then work on a median of 12 hours labour, could be a lot less, but shouldn't be too much more if even terminal things are found!  Then $20-30 for a good gasket set + $30 to 50 for a good seal set + bearings, they depend on what quality and how many need changing, ie: rear hub good $70 and up or cheap $35ish, Flywheel $80-90 down to $40ish and so on. And depending on how long since it was last done, I'd be seriously considering a new sliding dog $120ish and a gearbox re-shim to suit. 

• Upvote 2

200 bucks should cover it, add another 100 for shifting cross, 60 bucks for clutch plates, and realistically if you are replacing bearings might as well replace the crank, another 120-200 if stock components used

Hi Nick, what's a "shifting cross" ? Cheers Skippy.

Hell, for 60 bucks US I'll sell you Italian corks, Italian steels, and a full set of Scootopia springs! :)

And if it's a filthy pig of a motor that doesn't run to begin with, the price will be more...it all takes time.

Please please please clean your engines before taking them to get rebuilt.

If you find someone who will rebuild your engine for 200$, run away as fast as you can

• Upvote 4

$1000 plus parts and what ever else needs fixing (welding, stripped threads, broken bolts, stuck piston are extra). Want something custom and the price goes up from there.

6 month wait.

DHL has it right on, clean that motor before you deliver it. You want your mechanic to be in a good mood when they work on your motor. You don't need to be able to eat of it but at least get the big stuff off. A good wrench will clean the rest of it before assembly anyways.

If you gonna do it yourself and just replacing the worn components and sensible upgrades  - not too bad off

Like $500??  if you discover stuff's is cooked - you must replace- that adds up.

Yeah any professional build -it all varies on prices.

• Upvote 1

Steve, while you(or someone else is in there) changing seals and bearings, they are already opening up areas that will allow access to rebuild the whole engine. When those areas are available, it just makes sense to go in and check over everything, as it will save on labor time if you need something else done in the near future, ie replace rear brake shoes, or new clutchplates or kickstart piston pin.

The short and the long of it is get it all done while it is apart, it will save you money.

• Upvote 1

Usually at about 1000.00 in parts for my rebuilds, not including labor that's all seals, gaskets, bearings, electronic ignition, sliding dog, crank, etc, I upgrade everything, get the top end ported. Actually, if I'm only spending a grand I consider myself lucky. I could do it cheaper, but I don't like to cut corners.

• Upvote 1

As a rule, my rebuild cost is a flat $450, plus whatever repairs have to be done to the case/hardware, plus cost of parts and customer options desired. Hope this helps in your equation...