theageofindustry

Anybody ever install a Dial a Jet on an SH carb?

I've been floundering for a while trying to get my carb jetted correctly in the mid range without a lot of luck.  I finally got my CHT and EGT gauges installed and wired up and it verified exactly what I was suspecting, which is a lean condition in the mid-range.

Anyway, I decided to order a dial-a-jet and see what's up.  Lonn at Thunder Products was extremely helpful and had a lot of suggestions to hopefully get me sorted finally. He seemed to think it will work without issue on my SH carb so we'll see if he's right.

I have no idea which one they sold me but I'll report about it once it's in hand.  Shouldn't take long since they are based in Richmond, MN.

https://thunderproducts.com/product-category/carburetion/dial-a-jet/

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried one of these on such a pre-historic carburetor before.

they supposedly work on anything. First time I saw one of these was on my neighbors snow mobile.

I may have to get creative on mounting it on the carb since the boot and the boot clamp cover the intake side of the carb completely. Maybe a wider clamp on the intake boot with a hole in the middle? I know the dial-a-jet mounts to the carb with a zip tie so maybe just use that, drill a hole in the rubber intake boot and omit the intake boot clamp all together?

I'll find out when it arrives.

Basically it's an adjustable power jet with it's own air source that fills in all the lean spots in the range. Pretty neat really.

I can't believe nobody has tried this backwoods invention originally made for snowmobiles on their Lambretta yet.  ;)

Did you search the old site?  I thought I remember someone trying it before, or maybe it was the old BBS. 

I think Scott Casey put one in one of his powerjet carbs in place of the powerjet with good success. Maybe that's what you remember?

Any news on the progress with this contraption yet? I'm keen to learn more.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, don't extend your stinger so far out the back that it traps heat in the pipe. No matter how much gas I stuff into it, it's the trapped heat that is causing it to want to pop on long straight aways. ;)

The dial a jet did what it said it would and was easy to install. I will write an article for the Gazette about it so keep your eyes peeled. ;)

• Upvote 5