k-dog

Seriously on pricing...

that li from the other post? I dunno?    But your price list breakdown sounds like  market prices.

An almost $2K for a  LI locked up? Seems pricey to me. Again I might be totally off point.  But after everyone is saying they really are becoming more and more so .... 

I've got 3 gas tanks. No one has ever offered me $75 for one.

One of the panels is missing. The remaining panel is missing the handle.

That thing is a pile. I can't wait to see who bought it. Especially after this shit bagging.

You may have missed the shipping price: $5.60, expedited!
It was in SF too!  Someone just fell in love with that original paint.  Another $4 to 500 or so to see that bike running with original paint wouldn't be unreasonable for the bay area.  The gems do come out once in a while.  There was an LI in pieces on SF craigslist a couple of years ago for $400.   
Eric, which SX was yours at Monarch?  Would this have been around 1999-2000?

Personally, I think these things are overrated.

Realistically, pricing has been thru the roof.

I can always get a pulse when I sell something. I recently put some stuff on scoonet and the email was blowing up. The shit was flying out the door.

Why?

Because I priced to move.........not to be greedy, and my ass gots bills yo!

I wanted to recoup enough to pay for part of the casa kit I bought, but in the end its just old pieces of metal that change hands and down the river of life pops up on someone else's shelf.

• Upvote 1

Yep, I remember walking up to peoples houses and asking about their old parked non-working VW's, One guy sold me one for 15.00, and 2 others just told us to take them. The one I paid the most for was my notchback, and it was a whopping 750.00.

Basically everything comes down to what is cool.  When vehicles are 10-20 years old they are still rather plentiful, dated look and technology, are pass me downs, and uncool for the most part, so values crash.  VWs and scooters were cheap, plentiful, and easy targets for thrashing and trashing during those times.  Hell when I was a kid in front of my friends I used to make fun of my mom's Li125 when I was riding around on my XR70, because scooters were girly things compared to dirt bikes, even though I loved that Li, just how it was.

I also remember people torching and destroying 25 year old split window and some oval window beetles in the mid 70s because they were seen as cheap, too slow to be safe, plus impossible to look through the back rear window, so many of those were cut into cheap platforms for dune buggies and kit cars, or sent countlessly to crushers.  

Fast forward another 25 years though, an aging demographic gets all nostalgic for the past, demand picks up, resources surface, grow, people organize, events and clubs form, and bang values skyrocket.  Now split window beetles in particular nicely restored fetch $50K plus, and are now cool.

$2K for a seized Li, sure if your reference point is 5 years ago thats high, but despite the economy, this niche of the scooter hobby I sense is not only stable, but grown in all kinds of new ways, all kinds of new products, nicer restos, shops, and social media is now really adding fuel to the fire on this hobby, and its a global driven phenomena now.

So, supply and demand.  Say you really want to do a lammy project this winter, not much is out there now, not like there used to be, so low supply.  Next Li models are ideal for customizing and kitting, when so many and growing options are out there, so much more fun then a stock resto.  So, for $2K rather complete, you don't care, whether you can get it for 500 less, first because you get it when you want it, and that so-called possible but doubtful premium in todays market, is actually a drop in the bucket on a project.  

Prices rise and can get crazy on anything, when they become cool, in favor, and when a broad range of sufficient resources become available to make special things happen, just how it is.

There's no logic in the price difference for runners vs. non-runners.  It is what it is.  I was a bit deflated when I asked the question at the old forum and realized that despite turning my Serveta into a basically reliable runner that looks decent, it would only fetch about $2800 in a best case scenario.  But then again, there's no logic in paying what we do for these things and putting in all this effort anyway when you can go buy a Genuine Buddy for less and it will run all day long.  We do it because we want to, not because it makes sense!  For that matter, you can go buy a P200 that will outperform my Serveta and be more reliable for $2k or less any day of the week.  If you've got the bug for a Lambretta, you just have to accept it.

Running vs non-running only matters if you're a buyer looking for something to ride right now. Personally, I don't put any value on if something is running or not. If it's all original and runs like a champ that's a bonus. If it's been made to "run" by some shade tree mechanic I'd rather it not run at all. A bike goes down in value to me if that's the case. I look for model/desirability, followed by condition of original paint, followed by condition of bodywork.

That SF bike was a pile.

• Upvote 2

...... I've missed too many diamonds because I was on a coal budget

greatest line ever! And one we can all relate to.

Buy 'em rusty, seized up, and cheap. A few hours with some heat and some lube results in a plenty of good parts. Parts are hard to find nowadays, 'specially the good Italian parts.

2k for a runner sounds like a deal to me. Did not look at the pictures...

Buy 'em rusty, seized up, and cheap. A few hours with some heat and some lube results in a plenty of good parts. Parts are hard to find nowadays, 'specially the good Italian parts.

2k for a runner sounds like a deal to me. Did not look at the pictures...

Agreed. Buy 'em, strip 'em and sell the parts to the highest bidder. Because I run a business and have a mortgage payment and we can't be so serious about mopeds. Don't make me put this on Ebay!

Like I told a club mate, if I had time to ship stuff, I'd make a bundle. Instead, 12 lammys and a ton of parts are just sitting in the garage. This full time job really gets in the way of my hobby.

• Upvote 4

I'm old enough to have witnessed and experienced what Eric describes. When you're young, it's difficult to save up money for a toy. Not only because you have so little of it, but also because you have so many other things on your wish list and so little patience. I almost always had to sell my toys just to be able to afford to the next one, and only when I turned 40-something I was in the financial position to keep what I like.

I now own 6 old cars (including a pickup) that I really like, 2 motorcycles, and so far only 1 motorscooter. Interestingly, I had a V3$p@ GS160 and a Lambretta Special in the mid-1970s when I lived in Europe, and I just had forgotten how much fun they were.

Now at age 56 (by the end of the month), I am done with adding cars. Everything I have I enjoy and will keep as long as I can enjoy them and it makes sense. What I will buy is another scooter if the right one comes along. Since I'm not a horder nor show guy, but drive and ride my toys almost year round in this fabulous Southern California weather, I will jump on that SX200 with original paint when opportunity knocks on my door. Whether it costs $6K or $10k is not relevant, because when it comes time to sell it, perhaps 15 or 20 years from now, it will bring a great deal more money than it has cost. If there's one rule in the collector car world, it's that the best will rise the highest. You can buy a mid-of-the road scooter for $2K and it will perhaps bring $5K in 2025, or you can buy a $10K scooter and it might bring $20K at the same time. The more you invest, the more you will make.

lhttp://www.californiaclassix.com/Bernard/Riverside.html

Im gonna say ....$3k for this bad ass Jet200

He screwed himself with local pickup only, he'd get more if he'd ship (but not $3k).

There's a usable 200 block there, it will fetch a bit of cash despite the overall condition.  My guess: $950.  And I worry that I'm low.  Let's do Price is Right style and if you overbid you lose.  We can play right here.

Seller at least has a feedback history, there's usable legshield and floor panels, frame looks OK, but the big draw is the 200 block.

• Upvote 1

3.5 hours for me.

and since you're at $950, I'm gonna go out further on that limb and go $1k.