roryslife

Eibar from NY Purchase on a Whim

So Im a V3$p@ guy, but on a whim decided to purchase this Eibar that a friend found in Long Island, NY. My Lambretta knowledge is absolutely zero, and my spanish Lambretta knowledge is even less.

Im having it sent to Scooter O for an engine rebuild before I have it shipped out to me here in Boise.

I blame my local scooter club here, which is 80% Lambretta's for tempting me to the dark side. Im really interested in whatever knowledge anyone here has on it.

So far the only advice I've received is to have it punched out to 175.

11118550_10205756096275648_392238371_n.j11122074_10205749211223526_1319627544_n.11160501_10205756090315499_1095067454_n.11158147_10205756091075518_1176012863_n.

• Upvote 3

1st bit of advice: Punch the guy who told you to punch it out to 175. While he is lying on the ground yell at him, "It isn't 1992 anymore!"

• Upvote 7

I wouldn't mess with the 175 when you can have Adam Bower at Soulpower scooters punch it out to a 190 for about the same money.He can even work with Scooters O' to take care of that while they build the rest of the engine.

Outside of that, it was a solid buy. I remember seeing it on Facebook and think most consider it to be an ex-police model.

With that color scheme and those reflectors, any information if this might be a police bike?

I wouldn't mess with the 175 when you can have Adam Bower at Soulpower scooters punch it out to a 190 for about the same money.He can even work with Scooters O' to take care of that while they build the rest of the engine.

Outside of that, it was a solid buy. I remember seeing it on Facebook and think most consider it to be an ex-police model.

Interesting concept... I will look into that. It needs to be at least as fun to ride as my GS160, and most of the guys here are riding TVs.

With that color scheme and those reflectors, any information if this might be a police bike?

I sort of hope it is, and that was what got me intrigued, but I've also heard maybe not since their is no residue of the NYPD lettering that I can see. Im hoping that Gene will be able to answer question once he gets his hand on it.

In the olde days, going from 125 to 150 or even 175 was the standard way of getting more power. If you opted for an Indian kit with Jetex carb, all the parts needed were only $175 (I actually have a complete NOS kit for sale). Now there are several well-developed kits on the market that give you even more power without guesswork and experimentation. If you can afford $600 for the engine kit, $300 for a carburetor kit, $300 for an exhaust, plus some change for stronger clutch springs and 150cc gearing (175 gearing is kind of overdrive in high gear), you can order the BGM 195 kit which will give you about 14 horsepower versus 5-or-so you have now. Still, with labor it will cost you more than you paid for the scooter.

The move to "only" 175 makes sense if you don't want to spend more money on a new carburetor and expensive exhaust. I have a 125 with 5hp and a 150 with about 7 hp, and the difference is remarkable. I'm now having a 195-198 small block build around a 66cm cast iron cylinder that with moderate porting and relatively low compression will deliver about 11 hp, which is stock Jet 200 power, top of the line if you will, and it should be able to hum along happily at 60mph for miles without breaking a sweat. Case in point, know what you want to do with your scooter and know what you can afford. Speed costs money, so how fast do you want to go?

Im blessed to be at a point in my life where I can afford to pay to play, so spending 1500 or 2000 for results isn't outrageous.

I'd love to be able to keep up with my buddies on their TV's, so 190 seems like the way to go, but if 175 is a more efficient bang for buck, thats cool though.

I worry about the brakes though... Im guessing this model doesnt have disc brakes? I really apologize for my ignorance, until a few weeks ago, I assumed Lambrettas were the devils scooter of choice.

So Im not a speed demon, but I don't want to feel like Im struggling to get along.

I also own the following scooters.

German GS3 (GS150 Aubsburgs) x 2

GS160 Mk 1 all original

SS180

81 P200

81 Sport

In the olde days, going from 125 to 150 or even 175 was the standard way of getting more power. If you opted for an Indian kit with Jetex carb, all the parts needed were only $175 (I actually have a complete NOS kit for sale). Now there are several well-developed kits on the market that give you even more power without guesswork and experimentation. If you can afford $600 for the engine kit, $300 for a carburetor kit, $300 for an exhaust, plus some change for stronger clutch springs and 150cc gearing (175 gearing is kind of overdrive in high gear), you can order the BGM 195 kit which will give you about 14 horsepower versus 5-or-so you have now. Still, with labor it will cost you more than you paid for the scooter.

The move to "only" 175 makes sense if you don't want to spend more money on a new carburetor and expensive exhaust. I have a 125 with 5hp and a 150 with about 7 hp, and the difference is remarkable. I'm now having a 195-198 small block build around a 66cm cast iron cylinder that with moderate porting and relatively low compression will deliver about 11 hp, which is stock Jet 200 power, top of the line if you will, and it should be able to hum along happily at 60mph for miles without breaking a sweat. Case in point, know what you want to do with your scooter and know what you can afford. Speed costs money, so how fast do you want to go?

Im blessed to be at a point in my life where I can afford to pay to play, so spending 1500 or 2000 for results isn't outrageous.

I'd love to be able to keep up with my buddies on their TV's, so 190 seems like the way to go, but if 175 is a more efficient bang for buck, thats cool though.

I worry about the brakes though... Im guessing this model doesnt have disc brakes? I really apologize for my ignorance, until a few weeks ago, I assumed Lambrettas were the devils scooter of choice.

So Im not a speed demon, but I don't want to feel like Im struggling to get along.

I also own the following scooters.

German GS3 (GS150 Aubsburgs) x 2

GS160 Mk 1 all original

SS180

81 P200

81 Sport

A 175 conversion won't keep up with a stock TV.  The porting just isn't there and a 150 barrel can't be ported to those specs plus the gearing isn't the same. A well sorted 190 on the other hand will do it.

Speaking of, I built 2 engines with Adam Bower's 190 top ends on them for a couple of friends.  One is an LI150 bored to a 190, 25 phbl carb, midweight flywheel, stock SX exhaust and Italian LI150 gearing.

The other is a TV175 bored to a Suzuki 190 piston, SH1/20 carb, BGM flywheel, stock SX exhaust and TV175 gearing.

So basically they are closely paired on paper but I think the TV is still a faster machine when the dust settles.  Both are great fun to ride though!

I'm pretty sure the gear box in that is not suited to any tuning.

It is Spanish 150 gearing.

Adam os certainly a great option for the top end.

Nice scooter. Make,sure you have the suspension in the front overhauled. There are more products for this scooter now then you can possibly imagine. You will love it.

I'm pretty sure the gear box in that is not suited to any tuning.

It is Spanish 150 gearing.

Adam os certainly a great option for the top end.

Nice scooter. Make,sure you have the suspension in the front overhauled. There are more products for this scooter now then you can possibly imagine. You will love it.

That depends on when they changed things. I was under the impression that the eibar models were identical to their Italian counterparts.

Well I personally toured Europe two up for several years on a 71 totally stock 150 Serveta it happily purred at 60MPH on the flat, laboured a tad uphill, but is still to this day running and even with points still only took 1 or 2 kicks to fire up. add to that about 120 MPG and how much fun do you need?

• Upvote 1

Just get a MB RT kit, GP taper crank and electronic ignition and call it a day. Anything else is a waste of money IMHO. You are eventually going to want more out of it anyway. Why postpone the inevitable? Waste of time and money. That or ride it as is...

Look into the gearing too... Not sure on Eibar.

• Upvote 1

If you are really intent on showing the TV's a clean pair of heels, just throw on a Casa 186 and fit a "Cyclone" anyone trying to do tuning with a 4 speed box is just not being serious nowadays. 19 x 46 on a Cyclone should give you around 7 MPH more than an SX 200 and without that dreadful dead area from 3rd to 4th that every 4 speed box has.

• Upvote 2

This obviously is not your first scooter and probably not your last lambretta....

With that said i would let Gene get your act together as far as tires, cables, tune-up, lights ect...

Ride it around. Start looking for a motor or another lambretta and build your monster scooter boy-one of the gang bike.

Until then enjoy learning the different dynamics of a lambretta over a V3$p@(there are many).

Adam Bower has a topend of mine that you are more than welcome to have at close to rock bottom prices( small fee to me for barrel, piston, his labor and shipping) if you wanna give it a straight swap over. Check with him if its good. I since replaced it with something modern.

Its an indian alloy barrel that he is gonna try to open to a 200. I sent him a good piston for it. See what he says. I dont have any plans for it. Yours to have fun with. You can run it with a your stock carb and your old pipe/or new.

Thats a sweet eibar 150 special you have there. I would agree and put at least a 190 kit on it.

I bet you have some sweet roads out there. You will really enjoy how the Lambretta rides I'm sure that is 

the reason why your friends are trying to convert you. 

Good luck and enjoy that scoot. Ditch the reflectors and clean it up and call it good.

Pete

Solid buy, how much did you pay? I'd just send the whole bike to Adam - soulrunner1 on here. He can rebuild an engine like nobodys business, prob for much cheaper than SO would do. from what I can tell, he runs a little training center for the tastefully acronymed MOD scooter club too, so it'd be partially educational for others. 

As a V3$p@ guy myself who dips into the Lambretta field, they're easy enough to work on outside of engines, so getting it mechanically sound first is a smart move. Swapping out the loom on a Lammer is a piece of cake compared to doing the same task on a V3$p@. Body panels all come off, so you can focus individually on parts that need more work than others like yours.

Get yourself a Stickys manual which covers the bulk of Lambretta how-to's but can skimp on some primers that would have been a problem if you say bought a box-o-lambretta. 

SoleRunner is obviously a MOD. Look at that hair and the way he dresses.

I paid 1500 for it.

I have a guy who lives in Boise and used to work at Cambridge Lambretta who I will probably have help/do any work.

This whole gearing thing has been scratching my head.

And whoever said get rid of the reflectors... hell no! I love my ugly 70s bits.

Solid buy, how much did you pay? I'd just send the whole bike to Adam - soulrunner1 on here. He can rebuild an engine like nobodys business, prob for much cheaper than SO would do. from what I can tell, he runs a little training center for the tastefully acronymed MOD scooter club too, so it'd be partially educational for others. 

As a V3$p@ guy myself who dips into the Lambretta field, they're easy enough to work on outside of engines, so getting it mechanically sound first is a smart move. Swapping out the loom on a Lammer is a piece of cake compared to doing the same task on a V3$p@. Body panels all come off, so you can focus individually on parts that need more work than others like yours.

Get yourself a Stickys manual which covers the bulk of Lambretta how-to's but can skimp on some primers that would have been a problem if you say bought a box-o-lambretta. 

I know a guy who used to work for International Baking. I think he was in  financial officer. I haven't asked him to bake anything for me yet. 

I know a guy who used to work for International Baking. I think he was in  financial officer. I haven't asked him to bake anything for me yet. 

you should...might be good....but in this dude's defense, Mike Usevich is an awesome guy and I know he will jump right in and help...that's just who he is.