Dolla Bill

The race is on, jet repaint/build

anyone have oppinion about the ...fork tube .. thingers.. top and bottom, should i knock those out?

I would. It's easy enough to do and will make a cleaner finished product when you install them after paint.

anyone have oppinion about the ...fork tube .. thingers.. top and bottom, should i knock those out?

Your asking about the bearing races?

Yes, remove them. Bearings don't do well with being media blasted..

Might want to remove your floor mats and save them if you can.

• Upvote 1

I would be making a special blanking plate to protect that original all in one tail light bulb holder too, plus getting the dent pushed out of the tank. And have you already straightened and re-aligned the struts, it a bit messy to do once it's been blasted and primed. Are you getting the panels blasted? If so that's not the best idea, dipping is best, blasting causes surface hardening, pushes rust deep not away, and the uneven surface stress relief of the media causes all the panels to warp, I'm only saying this because that looks to be one particularly straight and lovely scoot to start with. But as has been said before, it's your scooter and just my opinion. But Damn, I do love Jets! 

• Upvote 1

great feedback skippy.

ok, maybe i'll soda blast the panels instead of sand.. good point about the holder, i was thinking about that myself, maybe i'll chem strip that instead, not a big piece to do by hand.

That said, i want to put the BGM led taillight (which i have) in this bike, would you suggest getting a different taillight to fit, otherwise this one needs chopping up i think.

struts seem straight... any input on how i would check/make more straight?

bubble level + engineer's square + dry build + big rubber mallet. 

Use this for reference. 

rahmenstrebe_hinten_lambretta_serie3.png

Also check your rear brake pivot for signs of wear and replace that at the same time (if needed). SR sell them or get your machinist to make you one. 

• Upvote 3

great feedback skippy.

ok, maybe i'll soda blast the panels instead of sand.. good point about the holder, i was thinking about that myself, maybe i'll chem strip that instead, not a big piece to do by hand.

That said, i want to put the BGM led taillight (which i have) in this bike, would you suggest getting a different taillight to fit, otherwise this one needs chopping up i think.

Unless there is some real rust I wouldn't use sand on any part of it.

They make 1157 LED bulbs. Cheapish and plug right in to a standard tail light socket.

• Upvote 2

Ok i've been convinced. no sandblasting.

Theres a chem stripping place that will do it for about 250, they put a rust inhibitor on after, which i then remove pre-priming.

So gotta drill a couple holes in the tube for drainage and were off to the races.

The main backbone is open under the seat arch so it shouldn't have and trouble draining. (At least I don't think, I've never had a scooter chemically dipped before)

Once struts are confirmed straight then weld up the stand strut to the main frame tube. These always bend and snap off because original welds are not complete around the main tube.

• Upvote 1

I take my tanks to a local radiator shop and have them dipped, you could also send them to Eric at 2nd Av scooters, he can get them plated.

There should be a drain hole in the bottom of the frame tube also (unless I just imagine that there is)

Correct, there is a small drain hole on the bottom of the frame (on Italian frames, at least). Due to its location it's often clogged up. 

The deep freeze finally broke. bike is going to the blasters hopefully tomrrow morning!

Nice dude, nice!  This is getting me motivated to attack one of my project bikes.  Keep us posted on the repaint/rebuild progress...looking forward to seeing it come back together.

Would be interested to hear what you decide to do on the gas tank...  I've enquired about dipping and plating before, but couldn't find any prices locally that were less than the cost of a brand new top of the line replacement tanks out there...so I've opted for the "home restoration method" on mine...filled them with small gravel and EvapoRust, then tumbled them for 24 hours. Followed by cleaning and sealing with a POR-15 kit.  Came out really clean, so far so good.

Oh, and one last thing....

O.M.Gizzle...What the EFF!?! Are you insane?!? For the love of god and everything that's holy...

DON'T PAINT IT.  I repeat....  DO. NOT. PAINT IT!!!!

Kidding of course.  Just seemed a little too quiet in here.  Since no one else has chimed in with this, apparently no one cares about original Spanish paint like they do original Italian paint  ;)

Get it blasted with walnut shells

I've heard of this being used before.  Any experience?  Removes paint and rust well without over stressing the metal?

I have all my projects media blasted this way, no damage to any of the scooter parts. I wouldn't acid dip it because of the possibility of paint damage from any left over acid.