Professorgearhead

Please offer advice to a newbie on a '65 Spanish Li 150.

Hello from Vancouver, Canada:  I am new to Lambrettas, though I've known about them for years and have been involved in vintage cars and motorcycles for years too.  I presently have a '74 Norton 'Commando', and a '63 V3$p@ 160 GS which I bought from one of your club members here.  He, in fact, suggested I join Lambretta Club USA and post my questions to the membership here.

So I'm chasing a '65 Spanish-made Li 150 (which has apperently been uprated to 170cc).  The original owner bought it in Spain in '65 and the present owner bought it from his widow some five years ago.  It was restored to a reasonable stand some 5 years ago, for which there is a fair amount of paperwork.

The chassis and engine numbers match:  150Li 060544

The Lambretta has sat for the past 5 years and apparently doesn't run.  It'll presumably need the gas tank, and carb fettled--though it is impossible to tell whether it needs other stuff because, as I say, it doesn't run.

The asking price is $2,700 Cdn, which is about $2,400 US.  

How much of a bonus is it that it is 'numbers matching'?  How much of a detraction is it that it is Spanish?  Do the numbers indeed prove it to be a '65?  I'd be grateful for any info anyone has on whether I should proceed with this or not.

Lambretta2_zpsc5e22414.jpg

Lambretta3_zps9f49db12.jpg

Lambretta4_zps489f93ab.jpg[/

URLlambretta1_zps0549e3e1.jpg

• Upvote 2

What i like is the back story. If its true its good. I also like the seat and it looks like the tank was replaced/serviced which can be good.

What i dont like is that crease/bend in the right side of the legsheild.

Maybe its just the camera.

It is not necessarily a deal breaker though.

At $2500US I'd be happy.

Servetas are superior. Ask anyone and they'll tell you. If they say anything else they're a loser.

• Upvote 1

looks good and well documented.  Aside from the panel handles that are installed backwards it looks legit.  Serveta's rock!

Hi All: thanks for the feedback. The 'crease' is apparently just the photo. It's an Eibar (has the badge). Is that any better, quality-wise, the the Servetta?

Same thing - Eibar is the city they where built. The name of manufacturer began using Serveta from Lambretta Locomociones SA in 1964. 

• Upvote 1

Same thing - Eibar is the city they where built. The name of manufacturer began using Serveta from Lambretta Locomociones SA in 1964. 

......doooohhh! I feel like such an idiot!

You'd be ok at 2500.00, budget 500.00 for possible repairs, and you still have a good scooter at a reasonable price.

• Upvote 1

in some markets they did sell as Servetta. But in general its Serveta SA. Servietta? I dont need a friggin napkin !!!!

S.I.L. are ok for the frame (stronger) and make a good base for a custom. I wouldn't feel bad about cutting down an Indian Lambretta.

Sounds from your comments that this Lambretta is something I should grab.  The problem is that it is in a nearby city and I'm swamped with work at the moment and can't get over to see it.  The guy isn't in a hurry to sell, so I'll take my chances and continue to gather information on Lambrettas so a have a better picture of what I'm getting myself in for if I grab it.

In a way, I hope the guy doesn't get it running because my bargaining power over price is better if it isn't--though then I can't tell whether there are major problems.  Maybe it is naivety on my part, but I suspect it's a good scoot that would need minimal fettling (and expense)  to set it right.

I really appreciate all your input.  We newbs rely on you veterans to steer us right.

• Upvote 1

It has been for sale for some time now.

I am surprised it is still available. The seller is probably firm on that asking price.

When it comes to Lambrettas... do not wait... GO get it.

Not the way a elected official should be.

Your not representing the club in the best light and are only lowering your standing among your peers.