Harley

Serveta Jet 200 gem wiring assistance / right electronics cap

Hi & Happy New Years to all!

As I stare into the abyss that is the finishing of my Jet 200 rebuild (headset wiring), I could use any diagram/tips/assistance finishing the gem wiring. Yes, I know this sounds amateurish and all, but my plan is to keep the lights working exactly as original.

Does anyone else love the 'high-speed' (for its time) look/performance of the gems on the Jet like moi?

Also, what do you Serveterans use to 'plug' the right/throttle side original electrical switch area to keep the entire headset stock? I don't/won't switch out the piece.

Any input is appreciated; what sat you experts?

I appreciate your pain-threshold analysis but I am already committed to this and well in my way. I have my block switches mounted and wired up correctly, just looking to finish the wiring to the gems (correctly...hopefully the 1st time).

Any pics that you might be able to share would be greatly appreciated.

Here's as far as I am now:

20141222_221215.jpg

I won't be able to give you a play by play, but consider what each gem light indicates and that should make it pretty easy.

I'm guessing blue is high beam so connect the power wire from the gem to the high beam wire going into the headlight.

One is a neutral indicator so between red and orange, I'd guess orange is the neutral indicator. Chase the wires on the neutral switch on the case to the headset and Bob's your uncle.

That leaves red, which may be a brake light indicator or a turn signal indicator.

Blue is Hi Beam

Yellow is Low Beam

Red is Neutral

I can write up a diagram for you. Do you you have original harness? What year is your Serveta Jet? Which switches are you using - original on both sides?

• Upvote 3

1980 Jet 200.

New harness from Jet200 - I do have the original harness where K-dog & I matched the original & new cables.

Original/NOS reinstalled & hooked up/tested w/the engine running.

The turn signals were removed so i won't be using the right side (using the plug).

**original/NOS switches**

Red hi beam

Blue neutral

Orange indicators

Should be that way but it's blue for high, yellow for low and red for neutral.

Watch out if you run a 12v system. Those lights will be painful bright.

• Upvote 2

It may be because I've been up all night watching the wild card games, but are your clutch and brake cables routed correctly and through the right wire guides? I have very little experience with the later model Jet's. I know this wont help with the gem wiring but it may prevent you from damaging the ignition switch wiring when the headset top goes on, or should I just shut up and go to bed rather than drinking more coffee?

Skippy is right. You have the front brake cable routed through the clutch cable guide and the clutch cable through the front brake cable guide. Sharp eye!

(Seriously? You crammed that rear-frame type late-Serveta ignition switch into the headset? You'll never get your speedometer/headset top on.)

Maybe I'll change mine, although it doesnt seem to bother me as long as i know they work.

As it stands now mine are:

Red=high beam

Blue=neutral

To me it made sense that the high beam would be red to indicate "warning" you have your high beam on.

And blue was good for neutral as its the only other light on my headset.

But thats my thinking.

To me it made sense that the high beam would be red to indicate "warning" you have your high beam on.

Harley, now I am reconsidering the Yellow gem for use as a Brake indicator because yellow is a color associated with fear. And I use my brake because I'm afraid I'll hit a car stopping in front of me.

I'll re-draw those diagrams right away.

• Upvote 2

Skippy is right. You have the front brake cable routed through the clutch cable guide and the clutch cable through the front brake cable guide. Sharp eye!

(Seriously? You crammed that rear-frame type late-Serveta ignition switch into the headset? You'll never get your speedometer/headset top on.)

I was going to question the ignition switch too, but I thought I'd just put one foot at a time in my mouth! It seems as though I should have mentioned it. I have a question, is this actually a Jet or is it a series 80?

Also, don't let anyone try to sell you late-Serveta block CEV196 switches for $50 each. You can get these all day long at moped shops for $15 to $23 each. Brand new.

What exactly is the problem w/the cables?

It all fits and flows smoothly. It's an easy change if you say it's absolutely necessary.

Plenty of room in my headset for the ignition switch. Ask Mr. dirtyhands.

... I have a question, is this actually a Jet or is it a series 80?

It's a jet.

What exactly is the problem w/the cables?

It all fits and flows smoothly. It's an easy change if you say it's absolutely necessary.

Plenty of room in my headset for the ignition switch. Ask Mr. dirtyhands.

My buddy has a 75 LI with the Spanish switch in the headset. It even has a really weird adapter ring in it for fitting the smaller Spanish switch in the larger Italian switch hole.

And yes, your cables should cross over each other before going into the cable guides. It's absolutely necessary for correct cable routing which equates to everything working properly.

It's a Ser 80 with thoes switches and the lights and the VIN he gave me for the database it is a Series 80.

Harley... the Series 80 are the Sevetas with all the shuttle switches and extras like yours.

The scooters in the USA that are like this first appear on the database at about Feb. 1980.

• Upvote 1

I too have an early Spanish LI 150 s in the UK that still uses that switch, but as you said it has a butt ugly converter and large type of lock nut to stop it going so far into the headset, all factory. Do I win a prize for spotting it to be a Series 80? :D

• Upvote 1