Sign in to follow this  
mogo

Tank petcock fixable?

Hello, I picked up a new scooter 1960 Li125. It has not run for 10 years and is in rough shape. Going through the receipts it had an engine rebuild done in '96 at West Coast Lambretta. Anyway, the compression is good, put in a new plug, cleaned the carb, but no gas was flowing. I thought the fuel lever was a bit too easy to turn. Sure enough the valve was seized and the key part sheared off inside, both key ends are busted. Probably the reason the bike had been sitting ever since.

Might be wishful thinking, but can you get parts to rebuild this original OMG valve? Is it even original to the bike and worth fixing?  

Cheers, 

Morgan

Most people just replace them with a high flow unit. You can certainly take it apart though and see what's up. I know you can buy seals still.

• Upvote 1

You will find that what u can't fix u mostl likely can purchase ( although remade). There is a a lot of talent in here to help you with your restoration. My fuel valve was toast,scooter sat for more then 40 years. I was able to by a remake that works great.

I agree with above to replace with a new one.

More importantly is to be sure the tank is crud and rust fee or you'll just ruin the tap again.

Mine had an OMG petcock, which I believed to be original.  It was nicely made, with all the brass parts. 

If you  are remotely thinking of putting a kit on that Lambretta in the future, I strongly suggest you just step up to a fast flow petcock now.

See http://www.lambrettaclubusa.net/index.php?/topic/1124-fast-flow-fuel-tap-flow-rate-comparison/

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys,  I ordered a fast flow OMG valve off Scooter Speed. No experience on vendor, but they had the part. And they had it in the post the same day.  

I just got one from Ito and I've been running it all week to work.

Single best thing ive bought in a while..........my old tap was fukkerd.