matty

LamJam location - too weird or too perfect?

I know it'll be a couple years until Minnesota loses to some other Colorado city, but while doing some research on possible locations I came across this place.  Now it's a state park but it was once a German POW camp in a small town home to Schell's Brewery (one of the oldest in the country).  It has a group center that contains 8 bunkhouses, a building with a kitchen and dining hall, modern showers, etc.

Now would it be weird to have bunkhouses?  Each one holds like 14 people and would be easy enough to have a quiet, family, and a party bunkhouses.  You can also throw up a tent outside if you prefer.  You would have to bring your own pillow and bedding or I suppose that could be included in registration.  There are some hotels within a couple of miles for those who would rather go that route.

Just curious what people would think of something like this before we look further into it. 

Here are few pictures - the first three are of the group center. 

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/virtual_tour/flandrau/dialup.html

• Upvote 5

Wow!

It looks as though it is very well kept and maintained. I was expecting pics of vacant abandoned buildings and this is exactly the opposite.

Chlorinated sand pond! Awesome. No brain eating bacteria in there.

Too late, Hienkel Jamboree 2015 already has it booked

If you're kiddin that's funny.

Hienkel.........Stalag........get it.

Whatev, im laughin.

• Upvote 1

We will for sure check it out, wasn't sure if people would be put off sharing a bunk house instead of having a private room or  not.  We aren't sure if it'll be in Minneapolis or in the country yet either, but don't worry Darren even in the big city we have great fishing!

• Upvote 1

I know, I know, I am so excited I can barely sleep at night.

Which smiley is the Mr. excited smily? :)  If we don't have one, we should get one...

On another note, why is my text all bold and dark, have I hit the wrong button or something?

If this ever happens, the theme model for that year should be NSU Lambrettas.

• Upvote 2

Peter and I finally went down to check it out the other day, and it's pretty sweet!  Nice big indoor dining hall with a full kitchen and the bunkhouses are spaced out quite nicely. A few fire pits and a nice area big enough for a gymkhana.   Also plenty of room to pitch a tent somewhere if you would rather do that.  It's quite secluded yet only 2 miles from town.  I think it could be perfect and cheap.  

• Upvote 1

Guest kelley

You might have mentioned this before, but are there showers there?

Yes - they say modern showers, didn't see them but we'll take an "official" tour, instead of just sneaking in, one of these days.  There are also hotels 2 miles away.

• Upvote 1

Guest kelley

Yes - they say modern showers, didn't see them but we'll take an "official" tour, instead of just sneaking in, one of these days.  There are also hotels 2 miles away.

yeah for showers!

Yep, we should have taken pictures but it was totally rad.

Plus the town has an extremely rich German history with tons of neat restaurants and businesses.

I was more then skeptical until I saw it, now I'm pumped!

• Upvote 2

Let's do it.

Showers are overated for rallies. Leave all your traveling/riding grime on till you get home, then wash half your face, have a look in the mirror and you can really see how much fun you've had and how many miles you've travelled to get there by the different shades of your face. ;)  :P

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking Darren just wants to do some fishing in the Land of Sky Blue Waters.

Let's do it.

Showers are overated for rallies. Leave all your traveling/riding grime on till you get home, then wash half your face, have a look in the mirror and you can really see how much fun you've had and how many miles you've travelled to get there by the different shades of your face. ;)  :P

I judge the success of a rally by how much black two-stroke grime I blow out of my nose at the end of the weekend.

Oh man... After the IOW '07 my sleeping bag, all my clothes, my napsack... were all BLACKEND.

There was a serious cloud of 2 stroke smoke over the island all weekend.

• Upvote 1