th' Cap'n

Keytronic 24 or 27 degrees?

On reading the instructions, I understood it to mean set my timing at 24 and the Keytronic will adjust it to where it ought to be. A fellow at the Victoria, BC rally told me it should be set at 27 and that using 24 as my starting point my desired running timing will be 3 degrees off.

I dunno. I've been riding it for a couple weeks now and it feels good to me, but it's a new build so I haven't leaned on the throttle much, yet.

If I were setting up a programmable ignition I would use a strobe in conjunction with a tachometer to identify firing point at every 1000 RPM.

I have the charts and have read the instructions. I'm using curve 7. But the comment about 27 v 24 has me second-guessing.

I just checked my timing on my casa kit. I don't have a tach.....so I just it hold it at wide open throttle and make sure my end point is around 16.

And then I know its set.

curve #7 has 7 degs of retard (and 7 advance as you know)

if you set the idle @ 17 BTDC then the ignition advances to 24 BTDC then later in the curve retards 7 degs resulting in the timing being 17 BTDC @ WOT (7000+ rpm)

I think you would set the idle @ a lower BTDC if you used a curve that had a greater advance / retard range 

the other curves change the timing by 11 degs both ways which would be too "hot" if your idle was left at 17 BTDC

the last time I did my timing check up on the vija GP I marked the case every 5 degs = 15, 20, 25 and made sure the ignition stayed below 24 BTDC and that it in fact did retard back to a nice cool 15ish BTDC

that gizmo looks rather nice 

Instructions say to set your static timing to the recommended set point, not idle...so I think your buddy has it wrong, Cap'n...

If you set the static to -24, for curve 7 the 0-1250RPM is then -16 degrees for starting, which transitions to -23 for low RPM performance and then back to -16 to keep WOT from melting down.

There are not too expensive timing lights out there that have digital correction for timing which allows entering a value of offset, makes for an easy evaluation of any timing point with only the TDC marked.

Instructions say to set your static timing to the recommended set point, not idle...so I think your buddy has it wrong, Cap'n...

If you set the static to -24, for curve 7 the 0-1250RPM is then -16 degrees for starting, which transitions to -23 for low RPM performance and then back to -16 to keep WOT from melting down.

There are not too expensive timing lights out there that have digital correction for timing which allows entering a value of offset, makes for an easy evaluation of any timing point with only the TDC marked.

?

Hey Jimmy, let me know what you are ? about and I'll try to explain...

Skippy,

WOT = wide open throttle

Hey Jimmy, let me know what you are ? about and I'll try to explain...

Skippy,

WOT = wide open throttle

what happened to WFO

• Upvote 1

Here's a PDF. Note pages 3 and 7.

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/pages/downloads/smart%20booster.pdf

On page 3, I am using curve 7, recommended for "Touring V3$p@, Lambretta with cylinder kit and optimized pipe," with my stator set to -24 degrees. My setup is a BGM RT225, matched transfers, Dell'Orto PHBH28, and BGM Big Box Clubman, SX200 gearing.

This all answers my questions and is indeed material I had referenced when the motor was first built. I was just wondering if anybody else had experience with the Keytronic and had thoughts on the topic.

I like that Capn.

For me personally I wanted to know where my end point was so I did the same as you(on a casa kit)but before I buttoned it up I checked my timing at wide open throttle. I marked my mag at 17 and it read just below.

I'm planning on purchasing a Keytronik Smart Booster 2 this winter to fit to my GP200 / TS1 240, and maybe another for the street racer. I like that their instructions are very clear and that these aren't just linear retard boxes like Augusto. The preselectable variable timing curves are relavant to scooterists running classic V3$p@s or Lambrettas and there are curves for touring, street racer, and beyond. Keytronik is developing a programmable box with USB port as well.

It would be awesome if you all could mention any kind of a difference have you really noticed from using this device?

Please give a breakdown/personal analysis of the curve you chose, what you are using your bike for, noticeable starting difference, throttle response, low end power, etc.?

I am using the Keytronik on the other brand of scooter. It is set to 26 degrees static and running curve 9 curve 8 was a little better, but I was getting a bit of mid range detonation under hard acceleration. I noticed a big increase on bottom end power and it runs much cooler on the freeway as shown by the CHT. I plan to buy 2 more of these for my smallframe and my Lambretta.

• Upvote 3

People buy these gizmos because they already have a nice electronic ignition.

If anyone has to buy a complete ignition then they would be a fool if they didn't go for the true and trusted Casa or one of the other well known variable kits.

I love gadgets but not when I have 1000's invested in an engine.... If you can call that an investment...?

People buy these gizmos because they already have a nice electronic ignition.

If anyone has to buy a complete ignition then they would be a fool if they didn't go for the true and trusted Casa or one of the other well known variable kits.

I love gadgets but not when I have 1000's invested in an engine.... If you can call that an investment...?

True, many of us running tuned Lambrettas have already invested in a good ignition. I'd not like to have to give up my original AF Ducati light weight flywheel anytime soon and with a Kytronik or M-Tech I won't have to but I can still run a variable timing ignition. Also, the BGM ignition is static timing and that runs a very good one piece flywheel. The market for converting a static ignition to variable timing is probably greater than the one for a total (stator + flywheel + CDI) solution.

• Upvote 1

Back to the Cap'n's original question, most of the curves for the Kytronik require the timing to be set at 24 degrees BTDC. But there are a few curves that require a starting point of 27 degrees BTDC.

• Upvote 1

OK - so everywhere I've been checking is out of these.  Anyone know of who has some in stock?

OK - so everywhere I've been checking is out of these.  Anyone know of who has some in stock?

I believe scooter speed has them in stock

No they don't at this time.

I like the new design and MB's fitting instructions clear up some gaps in the mfg's manual...