mikeracha

OMG MBGM RT225

I just finished installing an MB BGM RT225. Wow, what a nice piece of kit. The packaging is perfect. It ships with everything except a small end bearing. Cylinder studs, included. Intake studs, included. Even 2 packing plates/base gaskets in different thicknesses. Everything fit perfectly, no massaging or coaxing. The only bit of fitting was the ring gap.

Started first kick, too.

Nice job.

• Upvote 1

By far the easiest kit to assemble. Not the cheapest but they are worth it. If I could just build these I could knock em out quick.

The cylinder kit came with the con-rod small end bearing? That's odd.

I didn't think that piston kits came with bearings......I thought that was a crank shopping experience. Unless the rt has a reason like maybe the piston pin/gap ID requires the wider bearing............I don't know, me no have a RT kit, but I would really like one!!!

port matched and all? or just stuck on?

B

I just finished installing an MB BGM RT225. Wow, what a nice piece of kit. The packaging is perfect. It ships with everything except a small end bearing. Cylinder studs, included. Intake studs, included. Even 2 packing plates/base gaskets in different thicknesses. Everything fit perfectly, no massaging or coaxing. The only bit of fitting was the ring gap.

Started first kick, too.

Nice job.

B

They match up pretty nice with stock transfers but have tons of material to remove if need be. The only port work I do is polish the exhaust, match/ flow the intake and make sure all the ports have a good champher on them (which they usually do).

B

Just stuck on. It's just my daily riding blast around town bike. I checked exhaust and intake ports were almost spot on with the stub and manifold openings. I didn't check the transfers though. I'm running the stock 58x107 GP crank. With the 0.5mm packer exhaust and transfer timing was spot on and so was the squish.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think that piston kits came with bearings......I thought that was a crank shopping experience. Unless the rt has a reason like maybe the piston pin/gap ID requires the wider bearing............I don't know, me no have a RT kit, but I would really like one!!!

Mark Broadhurst did a lengthy rambly set up article http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/mb-*-setting-up-instructions/setting-up-*-cylinders-mbgm-rt+255.html He talks about small end bearings at length and why you need to source your own. Just too many variables because of all the cranks this kit is intended to work with.

• Upvote 2

I got the kit and crank in the same week

different boxes

kit in one box w/ packers & piston

crank in the other box with small end bearing

woops

my bad

• Upvote 1

Dudes, what carb are you running on this? I just got everything in the bike and the delly PHBH 28mm carb has almost no room at all with a foam filter (breathe sweet style) on a Jet200… do I need to go with a flat slide carb? 

Dudes, what carb are you running on this? I just got everything in the bike and the delly PHBH 28mm carb has almost no room at all with a foam filter (breathe sweet style) on a Jet200… do I need to go with a flat slide carb? 

I'll be rocking a KEIHIN 33mm carb via the reed block MBD setup

do you have the short MBD manifold...??

&

if you want to sell that "breath sweet" air filter setup

I'll buy it even if it is old and used

ww

Yes, it's the reed block MBD setup with short MBD manifold. I'm hoping a Mikuni TMX30 will provide the needed space… I'd like to use that filter if it's a fit - if not, I'll gladly sell it.

I have my trusty old TM24 on mine. Plenty of room for a pod on top of the air hose.

Ceramic does look like nicasil, or any shiny metallic chrome-like surface. I think it's higher in silicon than normal nicasil (short for nickel - silicon?).

Maybe some of you BGM guys could post on the Lambretta Street Racers facebook group page, they've been slagging MB and the RaceTour kits bigtime.

Maybe some of you BGM guys could post on the Lambretta Street Racers facebook group page, they've been slagging MB and the RaceTour kits bigtime.

I'm not on Facebook.

Not on the Facebook. Takes away from wrench time.

What's to complain about (apart from the price but that's normal and expected).

I've built up a few of these now. ZERO physical problems with any of them.

I think most/all of the complaints stem from people comparing the power to ts1/gt kits.

After reading enough if the complaints I would say that the power output puts the mb/bgm kits somewhere in between a casa kit and a gt kit in both small and large block forms. I think that as long as the user has that expectation, then they will not be disappointed.

I would like to see a dyno throw down comparing those three kits for power and torque, just for curiosities sake.

• Upvote 1