trials125

Vermont Registration Questions

The VT plate comes a few weeks before the registration and sticker.  The plate has  "T" sticker in place, to be covered by the regular date sticker.

Be persistent

My lawyer on east coast told me the same thing.... since VT doesn't issue titles for older bikes then your local dmv should be OK with issuing a replacement title contrary to their normal policies.

Ask for a manager

Is anyone still having a problem with this?  I just switched my plates over from VT to NY and it took about 30 mins.  The best piece of advise I can get is to call the dmv in Vermont and ask them to send you in writing (they will send you a standard form) that they DO NOT title MCs under 300cc.  

This should help to clear up issues that the clerk might have on why you don't have a title.

Items I took with me.

VT registration (which is transferable)

VT Plate (not needed)

proof of insurance (has to be issued in "my state" within a certain number or days)

Title form (from DMV)

Tax form (from DMV) 

Driver License 

Bill of Sale (not needed)

Vin Rubbings/Vin Picture (not needed) 

Letter from VT stating they do not title bikes under 300cc 

100$ for title

*even though some items were not needed I recommend you take them, as you never know who you will be dealing with.  

that is all.  It was simple and I made it in and out of the DMV in about 35 minutes.

• Upvote 1

Just got my OR title today

Had to chat with the manager at the local DMV to explain why they have to allow this. She conceded

Win for Vermont titling

• Upvote 1

Just got my OR title today

Had to chat with the manager at the local DMV to explain why they have to allow this. She conceded

Win for Vermont titling

Just wondering, how much do they charge for a title in OR?  

Letter from VT stating they do not title bikes under 300cc 

That's a really good idea and will certainly help your case. VT titling has always been a hot topic in the scooter world for decades now. Ultimately your state is not legally bound to honor the laws of any other state. It is in their best interest to do so in most cases but they don't have to. People are very passionate that it either works or doesn't. I've had both good and bad experience with it. Really it is up to the DMV person and your state's titling office to decide. I've actually had better luck in recent years, rolling the dice with only a bill of sale. Good luck!

That's a really good idea and will certainly help your case. VT titling has always been a hot topic in the scooter world for decades now. Ultimately your state is not legally bound to honor the laws of any other state. It is in their best interest to do so in most cases but they don't have to. People are very passionate that it either works or doesn't. I've had both good and bad experience with it. Really it is up to the DMV person and your state's titling office to decide. I've actually had better luck in recent years, rolling the dice with only a bill of sale. Good luck!

I have a pdf of the sheet they sent me.  It is to big to attach so if anyone needs it please feel free to reach out to me.  

• Upvote 1

Vermont has a new form for registration. I was wondering does anyone have a pdf of the old form?  Trials125 made it so easy to fill out and I don't want to go through the process of sending it in wrong. Thanks!