trials125

Vermont Registration Questions

I know other members have gone this route to get their bikes on the road, but this is the first time for me using Vermont. While it is tempting to use a service and just pay the fees, I thought I would give it a go and do the paperwork myself. I'm stuck on the "fees" section (box 9)- I've heard it should be $77.00 from other people who've done it, but I can't find any combination of numbers to add up to that amount....does anyone have a copy of this box from their form they wouldn't mind sharing? I'd like to pay them exactly what they need and get the ball rolling.

Also there was a previous thread stating that you needed a VIN verification done by a local government office, but I can't see anywhere on the Vermont DMV site that it would pertain to scooters. Only mention of VIN verification for motorcycles is this:

Motorcycles 
  1. Titleable motorcycles 300 cc’s or more last registered in another state are required to have a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
  2. All used motorcycles 500 cc's or more being registered/titled in Vermont for the first time, regardless of model year are required to have a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.

I'll see if I can dig up my paperwork over the weekend and check the total for you.

I was skeptical it would work so I sent a rubbing of the VIN, a printed photo of the VIN and a copy of the bill of sale. 2 weeks later plates arrived in the mail. 

• Upvote 1

I'll see if I can dig up my paperwork over the weekend and check the total for you.

I was skeptical it would work so I sent a rubbing of the VIN, a printed photo of the VIN and a copy of the bill of sale. 2 weeks later plates arrived in the mail. 

Awesome-really appreciate that.

I've done the rubbing and a photo as well, just to be sure.

I have my paperwork at home and can double check. I estimated it wrong, they wrote me back asking for the difference right away and it was done :)

• Upvote 1

There is a flat fee for the registration and then sales tax paid on the sale price. Check the instruction document for specifics and fees. I think the tax is 6.5% but don't quote me on that. Your purchase price on the bill of sale must be over $500 or it will get rejected.

For a "$500" scooter- 6.5% would make sense as that would be $44 for the registration fee and 32.50 for tax = 76.50. Close enough to the total $77.00 cost most people have told me. The bill of sale I have is for $500 and notarized, haven't heard of anyone else getting rejected because of sale price before. I'm going to give it a go. If there are any issues I'll report them back here. 

Any problems and you can call them - and get through! And get a live person! And help!

I made a mistake in the fees section and sent in $2 less than I was supposed to. They also sent a note that I needed an inspection. So I called. Woman on the other end confirmed the total amount due

and told me the inspection wasn't necessary, but to address the mail attention to her. Very quick turn-around.

Another friend called and they walked him through filling out the paperwork over the phone. They are actually there to help.

• Upvote 1

Any problems and you can call them - and get through! And get a live person! And help!

I made a mistake in the fees section and sent in $2 less than I was supposed to. They also sent a note that I needed an inspection. So I called. Woman on the other end confirmed the total amount due

and told me the inspection wasn't necessary, but to address the mail attention to her. Very quick turn-around.

Another friend called and they walked him through filling out the paperwork over the phone. They are actually there to help.

This is good news. It's nice to know that at least one government office is being helpful. A girl here in town just got her plates from VT. It was no problem for her. 

I think I may have done it right:

$44 registration fee

$30 6% sales tax on $500 ( the amount on the bill of sale)

$  5 warranty fee (don't know what this is, but paid it anyway)

$79 Total

I also included a printed picture of the serial number off the frame and a rubbing of the serial number on a separate paper. I did not include an Odometer Disclosure Statement as the vehicle is older than 9 years, and I did not have a VIN verification done as the bike is (obviously) less than 300 cc's displacement.

It just seemed too easy to do it like this, and had me second guessing the process every step of the way, especially since every other state I've lived in makes you jump through so many hoops and involves multiple offices (tax office, DMV, bond agency, etc)

hope my plates get here next week....been pushing my luck riding around on expired plates for a bike I sold a few years ago.

I am going to try and 'convert' a successfully VT registered scooter I won last year in a raffle (no title) to a permanent Colorado registration and title in the next few days.  Will post results afterwards, fingers crossed.  Have had no problem in the past with 2 others, but we will see, eh?  As the bumper sticker says, "I <3 Vermont".

Scott

• Upvote 1

Colorado registration slip and plate received today when 'exchanging' the VT registration. Title to be mailed to me, "in about 2 weeks," per the DMV lady. Will report back again when received.

Scott

• Upvote 2

Hi there,

Where are you guys seeing $44 as the registration fee?  It seems to indicate $33 as far as I can tell?  Using the formula above (and I have no idea how to interpret that gas tax thing) it would seem I should send $69.  Am I missing something obvious?  Maybe I should just send the higher amount, but I don't want to have sending "too much" cause a delay either.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/fees/tax_title

Cheers,

Chris

don't bother with the gas tax thing, that is for service vehicles and load bearing trucks and all that....no bearing on a scooter 

the amount is $44 for the registration fee (page 4 of this document details the registration fees)- scooters are motorcycles in the eyes of VT.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119i-Registration_App_Instructions.pdf

next, figure the tax owed on your vehicle - it will be 6% of the price listed on your Bill of Sale- My BOS stated the bike at $500, so 6% was $30

Also listed on the application was a "warranty fee" of $5, it is printed on the application form itself so I figured it be mandatory and paid it 

for a total of $79

I also had the bill of sale notarized and signed by both myself and the seller- we went to UPS and had it notarized for I think 5 or 6 bucks

also included a printed picture of the frame serial number and a rubbing of the frame serial number too....no where does it say to do this but it doesn't hurt that you do. If anything it helps to prove the bike is in your possession. 

I did all this and sent it in on may 17th, here's to hoping the plates are in my mailbox tomorrow

• Upvote 1

also- when (and if) I get my plates, I'll do a step by step with an example form and all that. It might help others looking to register their bikes. 

• Upvote 3

Just sent mine off from the post office at lunch time!  

Did the same with pic/rubbing of the VIN.  Added a pic of the odometer as well.  I know someone who is a state trooper, so I just proactively sent along the MA RMV Visual Inspection form as well.

Sent the same exact $79.  My bill of sale listed $400 unfortunately, but from brief discussion I had with the person at VT DMV I think I am pretty safe 'rounding up' to the $500 figure for sorting out the tax.  She indicated to me that it should be fine.  

I was looking at another (read: wrong) schedule of fees when I wasn't finding the $44.  I dug a bit further and found the right one that you are referencing....$44 it is.  

Fingers crossed.....

Assuming this works out (which I do) I plan on following it up very shortly with a few more bikes I've been procrastinating on this for WAY too long on!

Chris

Got my plate today! 

They sent back the form with the $5 "warranty fee" crossed off, apparently that fee is only for new vehicles. Total should have been $74.00. No big deal...they can keep the $5 for all I care. The end result is: the bike is registered in my name and legally plated and current. Ready to be titled in my name. No more riding around on expired plates from other bikes!

Next up, surrendering the VT registration for texas title and plates. I hope it's easy-ish.

I have my plates and as promised, here is a quick "how-to" guide on getting your bike plated and registered in the state of Vermont.

First download and print this form: http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf

Next fill out the following boxes: 1A, 1B, 2, 3C, 4A, 5B, 6A, 8, 9  

(BOX 9: VT registration fee is $44 for motorcycles, tax is 6% on the value indicated on your bill of sale)

Procure a bill of sale: https://www.dcu.org/pdfs/billofsale.pdf

this is a generic form, fill it out by both parties and get it notarized 

I also included a printed photo of the frame serial number accompanied by a rubbing of the serial number too - 

A money order or check in the amount on the form from box 9. made payable to Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

send the form, check, notarized bill of sale, photo and rubbing to: Vermont DMV, 120 State Street MontpelierVT 05603-0001 

DONE. 2 weeks later you should have your plates. A week or two after that you'll get your registration and sticker.

An odometer disclosure and VIN verification are not needed- VT does not require the VIN verification unless the bike is over 300cc and does not require the odometer disclosure for vehicle older than 9 years.

Below is a sample form filled out for reference (NOTE: I made a mistake by including the "warranty fee", it is only used for new vehicles...making the total you should pay on your $500 bike only $74.00)

I hope this helps anyone considering this route to get your bike registered and plated- with this registration, you will then be able to apply for a title in your home state for your untitled Lambretta. Be sure to mention to them that VT does not require a title for older vehicles to be registered, they may have to check their books to verify this, but you should be good to go.

aay9oi.jpg

• Upvote 3

ScooterTitle_zps761a37ef.jpg

That's a fuzzy picture (on purpose - die 'bots, die!) of my new Colorado title for a previously untitled, 'bill of sale only' scooter that went through the Vermont system.  ~$80 last year and paperwork to Vermont, then regular new title and reg fees for Colorado this year.  Thank you VT!

Scott

• Upvote 4

That's a fuzzy picture (on purpose - die 'bots, die!) of my new Colorado title for a previously untitled, 'bill of sale only' scooter that went through the Vermont system.  ~$80 last year and paperwork to Vermont, then regular new title and reg fees for Colorado this year.  Thank you VT!

Scott

Awesome Scott!

This is great, I really hope the VT way is a viable option for untitled bikes for a long time if not forever. It's too simple. I just got my registration card and will likely ride these plates till they expire next year, and then make the switch to TX plates and a title. VT also sent me a check for the $5 I overpaid for the registration. Nice.

This process makes the whole buying an untitled bike, not so much an issue anymore. I found this link too, when researching this process. Good to find out first that your Lambretta, or the one you're considering isn't stolen.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Is getting the bill of sale notarized important? I have a bike that I hope to soon register, but I can no longer get in contact with the seller. I suppose fudging one and saying I bought it from a friend (who could actually be there and notarize the bill of sale) is an option. Or no? Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your effort on posting this info. Much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

As far as I can tell in my research, just about everyone says the BOS must be notarized. It's easy enough to do. As far as saying your friend sold it to you, I don't see a problem with that. Sell it to him for a dollar and then buy it back from him for "$500"......there really isn't a record to contest on an untitled bike, nobody knows who's hands it's passed through as there is no record of ownership. I'd say you're good to go.

It really is too easy. Just follow the steps listed back a few posts and you'll be golden. VT gets some revenue and you get on your way to registering and titling your bike.  Everyone wins.

Best of luck-

I've done two so far. One with a Vermont bill of sale from the web and one with a New Mexico bill of sale.  They took them both - neither one notarized.