Jump to content
gone

Notes on fitting a BGM flywheel for Li/SX

Recommended Posts

The new BGM flywheels are designed to be removed with a standard GP flywheel puller. However, the center thrust screw which pushes the chankshaft arm off the flywheel is too short, bottoming out before it touches the crankshaft arm. I had to use the thrust screw from a Motoplat flywheel puller, which is much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that seems to be an issue. When I had to remove mine, I just went to a hardware store and got a longer bolt to fit into the standard puller. Looks like the make a specific BGM puller now that comes with a longer bolt. I've also noticed that the BGM nut does not fit on the BGM flywheel because it doesn't sit all the way down. Maybe you're supposed to use a thicker lock or wavy washer? I ended up just using the stock nut with no washer and it seems to be alright. It is bad to not be using a washer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, it's tight in there. I ended up using a wave washer for something else. The standard wave washer for short taper flywheels is too large in diameter. I've never fitted a flywheel nut without a washer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I had the same issue, that is why I omitted the washer. But now you have me worried. Could I just go to the hardware store and get a metric wavy washer, or does it need to be a particular shape/thickness/hardness, etc? Do you know what size you used?

Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think any wavy/crush washer that fits is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a specific BGM puller per se. We've switched the standard pullers we stock to ones with the longer bolt. Will work on anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a BGM tech/info section where these sorts of tidbits can be found before someone buys some stuff gets their scooter engine stripped down and then finds out the tools they have don't work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in the product description.

 

Some pullers are long enough. I have no way of knowing what you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in the product description.

Some pullers are long enough. I have no way of knowing what you have.

It wasn't a real problem. I had just picked up that Motoplat puller from you, so the timing was perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you use a stock TV flywheel shroud with the BGM flywheel or do you need a deeper one? When installing on a TV with a stock crank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine others will chime in but I would think so. The stock shroud works fine with a GP taper crank and BGM flywheel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this issue about 2 years ago, i just undid the flywheel nut a few threads and then used that to take up the space needed to pull the flywheel off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nickthekorean said:

I had this issue about 2 years ago, i just undid the flywheel nut a few threads and then used that to take up the space needed to pull the flywheel off

Huh? I'm confused about what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, upjettr said:

Yes, the stock tin will work.

Thank you. I have some slight drag and going through the process of elimination. Has anyone else ever had this issue and if so what was the culprit and solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Upjettr. I have some slight drag /scraping of the fins on the inside of the shroud and going through the process of elimination. Has anyone else ever had this issue and if so what was the culprit and solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Anhalt said:

Same here. 

 

I think he's talking about extracting the flywheel with a flywheel extractor that has a bolt too short for the BMG flywheel. I had the same issue and bought one with a longer bolt from Jet200. It was mentioned earlier in this thread I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sam Lock said:

Thank you Upjettr. I have some slight drag /scraping of the fins on the inside of the shroud and going through the process of elimination. Has anyone else ever had this issue and if so what was the culprit and solution?

The BGM flywheel has short fins and is designed to go in stock S3 flywheel cowling. If it is barely scraping and you have some clearance in your crankshaft web, you can switch out for a thinner mag flange gasket, but this is an extreme solution.  The best way is to very gently elongate the mounting holes for the flywheel cowling so it can be mounted a little more away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sam Lock said:

I think he's talking about extracting the flywheel with a flywheel extractor that has a bolt too short for the BMG flywheel. I had the same issue and bought one with a longer bolt from Jet200. It was mentioned earlier in this thread I think.

Ah - that is because he assumed ThomasK was talking about the original subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, upjettr said:

The BGM flywheel has short fins and is designed to go in stock S3 flywheel cowling. If it is barely scraping and you have some clearance in your crankshaft web, you can switch out for a thinner mag flange gasket, but this is an extreme solution.  The best way is to very gently elongate the mounting holes for the flywheel cowling so it can be mounted a little more away.

Thanks again. I'll try the elongating method first. I also need to check to see if my shroud might have a slight, gradual ding in it causing it to dent inwards. The stock flywheel didn't scrape so I'm guessing the BGM must sit a little taller.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you go elongating anything, just loosen the screws and take it out to its furthest most position and retighten.  Worked for me with a BGM flywheel and s3 flywheel shroud.  I would say the BGM flywheel indeed sticks out further than the original flywheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clinton Knight said:

Before you go elongating anything, just loosen the screws and take it out to its furthest most position and retighten.  Worked for me with a BGM flywheel and s3 flywheel shroud.  I would say the BGM flywheel indeed sticks out further than the original flywheel.

Thanks Clinton, I have tried to pull the shroud outwards as I tighten the screws but the holes in the shroud are pretty precise and so not a lot of wiggle room. I think if I enlarge them by a mm it will work. Thanks for the info on the BGM flywheel sitting taller, now I don't have to pull it (again) and compare it to the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sam Lock said:

Thanks Clinton, I have tried to pull the shroud outwards as I tighten the screws but the holes in the shroud are pretty precise and so not a lot of wiggle room. I think if I enlarge them by a mm it will work. Thanks for the info on the BGM flywheel sitting taller, now I don't have to pull it (again) and compare it to the original.

I did this to mine and it worked just fine. I had the slightest drag ( contact) enough to rub off the paint but leave the primer before I noticed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...